My mother had a baby (SCOBY, that is) and it brewed a batch of fabulous kombucha. It has an amazing zingy-vinegar flavor. But it could really use a second ferment with fruit added. I saw some cherries in the grocery store and knew what I had to do.
After removing the pits and "muddling" (well, not so much "muddling" as squishing between my fingers), I added the fermented kombucha to the fruit. Then I covered again and am letting it sit for 2 days or so. I have to tell you, it's hard. It smells amazing. I have sampled it twice already.
Next step is to bottle it and let the bottles sit for 2-4 days (my book says depending on the temp), this creates the fizzy carbonation that makes kombucha so much fun. Once it's done carbonating, you put it in the fridge.
Our bar is beginning to look like fermentation-station (oh boy, that could be a new School House Rock song!).
So, on the left is the next batch of first ferment kombucha. The right is the "second brew" with the cherries added. The little jar in the middle is a carbonation test (how many days to get the right about of fizz).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment