Friday, April 09, 2010

What we did today and Moving Roni to his own room.

So far today has been excellent despite the dramatic drop in temperature.

Today I bought my baby his own bed and we will begin the transition to sleeping in his own room.
Today I had fabulous Indian Buffet with fabulous friends.
Today I transferred a sleeping toddler to bed WITHOUT waking him, which is a major mama victory.

Now for more details on the sleeping issue…

Today I bought a twin bed (mattress, springs and frame). This weekend we will begin setting up his room for sleeping. Sheets just like ours, blackening curtains, cd player for his "rain" cd, etc. Yes, I bought new stuff for him. But I can not justify buying the kid used sheets or a used mattress, yucko! The curtains I may have been able to find used, but these are really nice and are not only room darkening, but also provide insulation. I bought two panels and will cut them up to make four panels total for his two windows. They are bright green.

As for the plan to get him used to it… The first week or so I plan to sleep with him all night and continue the night nursing.

The second week (or so, who knows how long this will take) I plan to night wean him while sleeping with him in his bed.

Finally, I plan to nurse him down in his bed and move back into my marital bed once he's asleep. Night wakings will be me going in to comfort him, but no nursing.

Hopefully this will be gentle enough for me (and him too) and yet get me back to sleeping with my husband. Who officially moved into the guest bedroom several nights ago. That’s no good!

Wish me luck and offer me any advice you have for transitions to own room. However I do not plan to “throw him in his crib and let him cry it out.” So any other advice would be helpful. Additionally, his crib is no longer safe for him because on the lowest setting it only comes up to about his belly button and he can climb. I’ve read "The No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers" and have gotten most of my ideas from this book. FYI It's very supportive of co-sleeping.

No comments: